Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Encounters with Some British Characters

As I'm sure you all know, the Red Sox won the World Series on Sunday with a sweep of the Rockies. I made sure to stay up and watch game four (wild horses couldn't drag me away), so I took over the common room of my apartment and set up camp, complete with nacho chips. My other roommates were in there when the game started, but one by one they trickled out, no doubt due to my frenzied yelling and cursing whenever the Sox screwed up/made an awesome play.
As I mentioned in a previous post, instead of commercials between innings, the British channel over here features commentary. The commentary consists of these two guys sitting in a low-budget studio set, an American and an Englishman, ready to discuss the recent events in the game. Only this time, they had a guest sitting at the desk with them, the self-proclaimed 'Biggest Red Sox Fan in Britain'. Yeah right; I could give him a run for his money.
"What makes you the biggest sox fan in Britain?" The Englishman asked the guest.
"Well," the guest replied in his impeccable accent, "I name my cats after the players. I have a cat named Nomar, even though the real Nomar was traded, and I also had a cat named Manny, although he was run over by a car, and I have a new cat named Varitek."
I sat there in my pajamas, utterly bewildered. Since when did cat-naming get you unto a TV show as the 'Biggest Red Sox Fan in Britain?' The guy wasn't even wearing a Red Sox jersey.
The rest of the commentary was uneventful, except at one point the American host and the English host got into a fight of sorts.
"Yeah, when I was in the league, we always saw the World Series as the ultimate dream," said the American, who was a former triple-A catcher.
"Well, we actually made it to the World Series," replied the Englishman.
"But you were twelve," the American said incredulously. "That wasn't the real World Series- that was a little league thing."
"Don't poo all over my world series!" the Englishman replied, clearly offended. "Don't poo all over my world series!"
At this point I was strongly reminded that I was in another country; never on ESPN would the ex-player commentators use the word 'poo' or talk about cats.

So I stayed up until 4:45 in the morning, fully fulfilling my duty as a member of Red Sox Nation. When we won, I leaped off of the couch and was jumping up and down and shrieking for about 5 minutes, completely by myself, in the dark living room. I hope I didn't wake anyone up, but you never know.

On a different note, I saw Macbeth yesterday. This was the one I mentioned about a month ago; the one with Patrick Stewart as Macbeth. It was quite amazing, I have to say. It was set in communist Russia, which lent the entire play a bleak, gritty feel. Patrick Stewart was amazing; you actually felt sorry for him, even though his character was a greedy murderer. I could literally talk about this play for paragraphs, but I'll just mention my favorite part. The coolest scene for me was when Macbeth was having a dinner party, and his friend Banquo (who Macbeth had murdered) appears at the dinner. Banquo, who was drenched in blood, just got up and walked down the length of the table towards Macbeth, who freaked out and fell out of his chair. The entire time the lights flashed and the music crescendoed- a truly terrifying scene.
Overall, it was just cool to have watched Shakespeare in London.

5 comments:

John Wray said...

Go SAWX

Marketspy said...

Your friend can't spell Sox. Is he British or just stupid? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I loved the part about the Macbeth scene! It made me laugh!!! How exciting to see Shakespeare and Patrick Stewart in London!!! Can you tell I love exclamation points?!

Anonymous said...

Oops--I left this out--regarding the part about the guy saying "poo" as a verb and the English in general commenting on American baseball... I could read this all day and laugh every time!!!!! And write more exclamation points!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!