Tuesday, October 23, 2007

An American Girl Comes Home (For a Weekend, Anyway)

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while, faithful readers. I've had a few adventures (as well as some misadventures) in the past couple of days.

First of all, I was pretty sick last week with a sinus infection. I knew I needed some antibiotics, so I went in search of a doctor. I went to the UCL student health center. The receptionist there informed me that as an American staying in the UK for less than 6 months, I was not allowed to see a doctor. She also told me that I couldn't even be seen by a doctor at a hospital.
"So what if I were dying or something?" I asked incredulously. "They would just turn me away?"
The receptionist sighed, exasperated. "I don't know what to tell you. You're not a citizen of the UK."
"I'm pretty sick," I said, embellishing my sinus infection for maximum pity. "I just need some antibiotics. Please, I really need your help."
She pursed her lips. "Alright. I'll let you see the doctor as a private patient. It'll cost 60 pounds."
That's $120, for you American readers. I cringed, but agreed to her offer.
I saw a doctor, but she didn't think I had a sinus infection, and so no antibiotics. Waste of time and money. Silly doctor, what does she know, anyway?

The next day (Thursday) I flew to DC for my Dad's Admiral promotion ceremony. In case you don't know, my Dad is in the Navy and recently got promoted to Admiral (a very high honor). He was set to have a big promotion ceremony at the Pentagon, and the entire extended family was going to come. I couldn't miss it, so I flew into Dulles, and arrived a very jet-lagged and cranky girl. Once there, I saw an American doctor, who gave me some antibiotics and I was
feeling much better by Friday morning.

The promotion ceremony went great. The Pentagon itself was very cool, and there were many cute Marine boys walking around (an added bonus). That night was the annual Navy birthday Ball, and my whole family got dressed up for that. We clean up very well, I have to say.

Saturday we walked around DC, first taking a tour of the Whitehouse, and then looking at all of the war memorials, as well as the Lincoln memorial. The weather was beautiful, sunny and about 75 degrees. Back here in London it's about 45 degrees and cloudy everyday, so being out in bright, warm daylight made me feel like some kind of disoriented vampire.

It was nice to see everyone in my family, and it was also comforting to see some familiar faces. In typical family fashion, we went out for beers every night (the older family members anyway), and at one point I had a Guinness with my grandfather, who was very impressed at my new drinking ability (I downed a whole pint!). I had a really good time hanging out with everybody.

I also made sure to sample some of my favorite foods that I had dearly missed across the pond, including:
Mozzarella sticks
Nerds (candy)
Soft pretzels with cheese
McDonalds Breakfast (with hashbrown!)
and of course, Red Bull
If there are any health conscious readers out there gasping in horror at my food selections, I apologize. If you had been deprived of good old greasy/perfect American food, you would have eaten all of that too.

So on Sunday night I took an overnight flight back to London. I sat next to a cute boy on the plane and talked with him for awhile, but he fell asleep with his mouth open (quite unsavory) so I didn't attempt to engage him in any further conversation.

Once back on the ground, I made my way through the maze that is Heathrow airport and managed to get on the tube; all of this was accomplished with about three hours of sleep under my belt. Once on the tube, I saw a man sipping an open can of beer at about 10:00 in the morning. Yep- I was definitely back in the UK.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Annie came into Washington like a wray of sunshine, which probably explains why it was so bleak in England while she was gone. Thank goodness, we don't have socialized medicine, and after Captain Rob, her daddy, took her to the American doctor, she was properly treated with antibiotics.
Annie has indeed learned how to scoff a pint of Guiness, a remarkable feat in such a short time in England. She apparently hasn't forgotten how to dance like a wild woman, or maybe it was because her Uncle Patrick's band was playing with such a loud, unidentifiable melody (?) that it aroused her jungle instincts.
Anyway, Annie, we appreciate your crossing the Atlantic twice and fighting not only sinuses, but jet lag, to be with us. The event of your Dad's promotion to Admiral and the accompanying family reunion wouldn't have been the same without you.
Love, Poppy

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was great to see Annie at her dad's promotion ceremony! She's more beautiful than ever, and all her aunties were envying her her svelte figure and gorgeous hair! She was quite a trooper with Poppy--Wray girls know they have no choice but to comply when Poppy wants them to share a drink, so good for you, Annie, for keeping up with him!